We’ve all known for a long time that the Works with Nest program was on its last legs, but now we’re starting to see signs that its life support machine is off.
If you turn on the Philips Hue app, you may see a pop-up that says:
Philips Hue’s integration with Nest Thermostat, Nest Cam and Nest Protect will be discontinued as of November 17, 2020.
This will only be temporary as Google is incorporating existing Works with Nest features into the Google Home app..
The fact that native sync Hue / Nest is retiring is not as important as it would have been a few weeks ago, as Google recently added the Home and Away presence detection routines to its smart home platform.
When Google removed Works with Nest last year, it effectively took some of the “smart” ???? outside the smart home. Nest still has its Home / Away Assist mode, which used geofencing to operate its Nest devices, but integrations with other devices, such as turning off the Hue lights when your Nest went into Away mode, disappeared.
With the new Home and Away mode within Google Home routines, users can now do things like turn on the Hue lights when everyone leaves home.
More controls need to be added back when Works with Hey Google integration arrives. If it ever does… we’ve been waiting around 18 months for Google to successfully replace Works with Nest.
Previously, the advice had always been to wait to migrate from a Nest account to a Google one, if you were relying on Works with Nest integrations, but this warning from Hue indicates that waiting and waiting might not be an option for much longer.
The official Hue and Nest partnership was never good anyway, if we’re honest. It did not allow you to specify which cameras affect which lights, or at what times, for example.
And the only Nest Cam automations offered are those that automatically turn on the lights if no one is detected in a room for a while; a ‘smarter security light’ that turns on random lights if it detects movement when it’s dark (which inevitably kicks in when you don’t want to); and a copycat feature that turns lights on / off when Nest’s Home / Away status is Away.
However, if you trusted it… you have a couple of weeks to set up some alternate automations.
Google Nest Hub Max Smart Home Assistant (Chalk, Refurbished, Plain Box) – EXPANSYS Japan
Best Amazon Prime Day Arlo, Nest, Ring, Blink & Smart Home Deals 2020: Top Security Camera, Video Doorbell, Floodlight, Alarm & Philips Hue Sales Presented by Deal Tomato
Prime Day smart home & security camera deals for 2020 are finally here, browse all the latest Prime Day Ring Video Doorbell, Nest Protect & Thermostat, Philips Hue smart LED bulb, Arlo Pro & Blink Mini sales listed belowPrime Day home secur…
Which Smart Home Heating Should You Choose?
Not all smart heating control systems are suited for every lifestyle and home, with some more and less beneficial than others. SMART stands for ‘Self-Monitoring Analysis & Reporting Technology’, and differs from standard heating controls by allowing you to control every aspect of your heating schedule from either a phone or tablet. Although room thermostats and timers allow you to control each room instead of your whole home, as long as you have internet access, smart home heating devices let you control your heating from your phone, no matter where you are in the world.
Today, we’re running through 7 of the best smart heating thermostats and systems, comparing features, benefits and what type of home they’re most suitable for.
– 7 day, & 5/2 day scheduling with a pre-configured schedule included
– Choice of up to 4 time periods a day
– Minimum On-Time & Cycle Rate settings ensuring compatibility with many boilers
– Table stand for ease of positioning
– Alert messages to assist fault-finding with a fail-safe mode
– Wireless technology makes upgrading easier and the installation time shorter with less wiring involved
– Homes that require high levels of automatic control that provide significant energy efficiency for a wide range of boilers and systems.
– Single Heating Zone Control
– 7 Day, 5/2 Day, or 24 Hour Control
– Programmable Room Thermostat
– Easily Programmed With The Associated App
– Homes that are just starting to take the first steps into using smart home heating
– Homes that need a single heating zone control
– Homes that have either combination or standard boiler systems
– Touch-screen interface simplifies scheduling, changing and overriding temperature
– Location-based programming (geo-fencing) adds an automated layer of control, adjusting the customer’s home heating based on their location
– Scheduling features include 7 and 5/2 day bespoke scheduling with up to 6 time periods a day
– Simple flip-up wiring bar for easy access and an easy-to-install boiler or zone valve interface
– Direct wall mounting or wall-box mounting
– Optimisation features include optimum start and stop & delayed start boiler control. Allows the thermostat and boiler to work more efficiently together
– Homes with any boiler and almost every heating system
– Homes with 230V on/off OpenTherm appliances (gas boilers, combi boilers and heat pumps)
– Ability to control water temperature and heating
– Self-learning functions to make every experience a unique one, helping it to understand your home’s needs
– Using a smart weather compensation feature and weather data, the vSMART can tell your boiler how hard it has to work to get your home to your required temperature
– You can connect multiple vSMART controllers to one app
– Homes with Valliant ecoTEC system/open vented boilers
– Households that want to be able to control water temperature from anywhere too
– A 7-day full programmer that gives great flexibility offering up to three on/off switchings per day
– LoT display, providing text feedback that gives help and programming hints
– Automatic Summer/Winter 1 hour time change
– Choice of 3 different built-in programmes
– ‘Holiday’ button
– Homes with heating and stored hot water in complete systems
– Homes with older gravity circulation stored hot water systems, where there’s no interlocking control valve
– Households with different heating needs from day-to-day
– One channel thermostat system with two radiator thermostats to start zoning your system
– Smart heating & hot water control
– Quick & simple to install using an industry-standard backplate
– Easy Zoning with the addition of extra Wiser Radiator Thermostats
– Homes with combination boilers
– Households that want to start a zoned system to control individual zones within the home
– Automatic time and temperature control of domestic heating premises
– Optimum Start, Optimum Stop and Delayed Start
– No installer links or switches on the back of the unit means no adjustment is required for combi boilers and most central heating systems
– Scheduled maintenance alert
– Automatic Summer/Winter time change
– Up to four independent time & temperature settings
– Auto, manual, holiday, override and off (frost) modes
– Domestic premises
– Most central heating systems and combi boilers
For more smart home heating controls, check out our full range today at MonsterPlumb. If you’re not interested in smart technology when it comes to controlling the heating and water temperature in your home, take a look at our selection of heating controls and valves.
IoT7 months ago
IOT Dog Daycare Robot with Dog Food Water Feeding | Nevon Projects
IoT6 months ago
Smart Home Tech: What are the best smart thermostat options?
Smart Gadgets6 months ago
VW explains how the ID.4 electric SUV gets smart about coasting
Home Security6 months ago
Getting Past Cybersecurity In IoT Devices And Exploring Their Performance | The Cyber Security Place
Smart Gadgets6 months ago
China’s Tesla rival Xpeng sets sights on Europe as it delivers first batch of smart electric cars to Norway | South China Morning Post
IoT6 months ago
Building Solar Energy Monitoring Systems Using IoT – floLIVE
Smart Lighting8 months ago
Delta’s Bluetooth Panel Light Becomes the First Smart Lighting Product to Achieve a UL Iot Security … – Smart City
Home Security8 months ago
AQara N100 Smart Door Lock Fingerprint NFC Password Unlock Smart Home Work With Apple HomeKit Mijia APP With Doorbell – Mega Deal #FF93 | Heliotropab