A handy thermostat checklist for your new smart home
Use this smart thermostat checklist to find your perfect match
You’ve read all the news stories about smart home products. You learned about the benefits of home automation. And you see many of your friends bragging about their connected gadgets. So you’ve finally decided to take the plunge into a connected home. One of the easiest smart home entry-level devices is a Wi-Fi thermostat. But how do you know which one is right for you? Use this simple thermostat checklist to help narrow down the smart thermostat selection in order to find your perfect match.
One of the first things people look at is price. Some Wi-Fi thermostats can go as high as $250 and that’s just for the device. Others charge monthly monitoring fees and not all have a free mobile app. Sensi™ Smart Thermostats have lower priced options, no monthly fees and include a free mobile app (Android or iOs device). Before you purchase, you can also check online to see if you qualify for a rebate from your utility provider. Some rebates are as high as $125, which can pay for a good portion, if not all of your Sensi thermostat.
After you’ve narrowed down the field with price, you’ll want assurance that you are purchasing a quality device. Emerson, the company behind Sensi thermostats, has over 125 years of experience with critical heating and cooling infrastructure systems. Sensi thermostats are also one of the few Wi-Fi thermostat choices that are ENERGY STAR® Certified. In fact, Sensi was the first thermostat to be named Energy Star Partner of the Year in 2020.
Next, you want to make sure that the thermostat you purchase will work with your thermostat wiring and the type of heating and cooling equipment in your home. One of the most important factors in determining compatibility is whether or not your system has or will require the common, or c-wire. If you aren’t an engineer, or familiar with HVAC systems and how they work, wiring can be intimidating. Before making your selection, read more about the c-wire to help you better understand what it is and how it works with your thermostat.
Also, if you already own a home automation system, you’ll want to make sure your new Wi-Fi thermostat is compatible. Sensi thermostats integrate with most smart home platforms including Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKitTM and Samsung SmartThings.
Ease of Install
“Will I be able to install it myself?” is another homeowner concern. Sensi thermostats are different because they simplified the installation process. Why waste an hour thumbing through a user manual when you can install and connect by using your phone? Simply download the free Sensi mobile app and it will guide your through each step of the installation process, from wiring to connectivity. The app includes several helpful features and videos that will ensure your new Sensi thermostat is set up properly.
You’ll also want to consider the thermostat design. Sensi thermostats were designed to cover the existing thermostat footprint, which means no messy wall patches, repairs or painting.
Features and Functions
The Sensi app was designed for you with easy to understand navigation. Using the mobile app, you can create custom temperature schedules for each day of the week (up to seven independent schedules); making it a snap to create one or multiple schedules to match your family’s routine. You can also run heat-only or cool-only schedules.
In addition to the easy scheduling options, Sensi thermostat has several features and settings, including Early Start (ensure your home is at the exact temperature you want at the time you want it), Keypad Lockout, (prevent accidental settings changes) and Temperature Offset (change the temperature display +/- five degrees to match the temperature you are used to from your previous thermostat).
It’s not a connected device if you can’t stay connected. Using the free Sensi mobile app, you can change your settings and adjust your Wi-Fi thermostat schedule from across the room or across the country. It’s the perfect tool for the moms and dads too busy herding the family for the annual vacation to think about the thermostat settings. Or for the harried business traveler who is more worried about the big client presentation than home energy efficiency. There’s nothing worse than realizing that you forgot to adjust your thermostat when you are just arriving at the airport or have already driven halfway across the state. If you have a Sensi thermostat, it’s not a problem. Simply whip out your Sensi app and you are back on track to energy efficiency and savings.
And although most people are connected to their smartphones at all times, we understand that there are those rare occasions when it’s simply not available. Lost phone. Unfortunate pool accident. We’ve all been there. But losing your phone doesn’t mean you lose control of your Sensi thermostat.
As you can see, there are a lot of things to consider before your purchase your first smart thermostat. By following this thermostat checklist, you’re well on your way to choosing the perfect match.
Google Nest Hub Max Smart Home Assistant (Chalk, Refurbished, Plain Box) – EXPANSYS Japan
Best Amazon Prime Day Arlo, Nest, Ring, Blink & Smart Home Deals 2020: Top Security Camera, Video Doorbell, Floodlight, Alarm & Philips Hue Sales Presented by Deal Tomato
Prime Day smart home & security camera deals for 2020 are finally here, browse all the latest Prime Day Ring Video Doorbell, Nest Protect & Thermostat, Philips Hue smart LED bulb, Arlo Pro & Blink Mini sales listed belowPrime Day home secur…
Which Smart Home Heating Should You Choose?
Not all smart heating control systems are suited for every lifestyle and home, with some more and less beneficial than others. SMART stands for ‘Self-Monitoring Analysis & Reporting Technology’, and differs from standard heating controls by allowing you to control every aspect of your heating schedule from either a phone or tablet. Although room thermostats and timers allow you to control each room instead of your whole home, as long as you have internet access, smart home heating devices let you control your heating from your phone, no matter where you are in the world.
Today, we’re running through 7 of the best smart heating thermostats and systems, comparing features, benefits and what type of home they’re most suitable for.
– 7 day, & 5/2 day scheduling with a pre-configured schedule included
– Choice of up to 4 time periods a day
– Minimum On-Time & Cycle Rate settings ensuring compatibility with many boilers
– Table stand for ease of positioning
– Alert messages to assist fault-finding with a fail-safe mode
– Wireless technology makes upgrading easier and the installation time shorter with less wiring involved
– Homes that require high levels of automatic control that provide significant energy efficiency for a wide range of boilers and systems.
– Single Heating Zone Control
– 7 Day, 5/2 Day, or 24 Hour Control
– Programmable Room Thermostat
– Easily Programmed With The Associated App
– Homes that are just starting to take the first steps into using smart home heating
– Homes that need a single heating zone control
– Homes that have either combination or standard boiler systems
– Touch-screen interface simplifies scheduling, changing and overriding temperature
– Location-based programming (geo-fencing) adds an automated layer of control, adjusting the customer’s home heating based on their location
– Scheduling features include 7 and 5/2 day bespoke scheduling with up to 6 time periods a day
– Simple flip-up wiring bar for easy access and an easy-to-install boiler or zone valve interface
– Direct wall mounting or wall-box mounting
– Optimisation features include optimum start and stop & delayed start boiler control. Allows the thermostat and boiler to work more efficiently together
– Homes with any boiler and almost every heating system
– Homes with 230V on/off OpenTherm appliances (gas boilers, combi boilers and heat pumps)
– Ability to control water temperature and heating
– Self-learning functions to make every experience a unique one, helping it to understand your home’s needs
– Using a smart weather compensation feature and weather data, the vSMART can tell your boiler how hard it has to work to get your home to your required temperature
– You can connect multiple vSMART controllers to one app
– Homes with Valliant ecoTEC system/open vented boilers
– Households that want to be able to control water temperature from anywhere too
– A 7-day full programmer that gives great flexibility offering up to three on/off switchings per day
– LoT display, providing text feedback that gives help and programming hints
– Automatic Summer/Winter 1 hour time change
– Choice of 3 different built-in programmes
– ‘Holiday’ button
– Homes with heating and stored hot water in complete systems
– Homes with older gravity circulation stored hot water systems, where there’s no interlocking control valve
– Households with different heating needs from day-to-day
– One channel thermostat system with two radiator thermostats to start zoning your system
– Smart heating & hot water control
– Quick & simple to install using an industry-standard backplate
– Easy Zoning with the addition of extra Wiser Radiator Thermostats
– Homes with combination boilers
– Households that want to start a zoned system to control individual zones within the home
– Automatic time and temperature control of domestic heating premises
– Optimum Start, Optimum Stop and Delayed Start
– No installer links or switches on the back of the unit means no adjustment is required for combi boilers and most central heating systems
– Scheduled maintenance alert
– Automatic Summer/Winter time change
– Up to four independent time & temperature settings
– Auto, manual, holiday, override and off (frost) modes
– Domestic premises
– Most central heating systems and combi boilers
For more smart home heating controls, check out our full range today at MonsterPlumb. If you’re not interested in smart technology when it comes to controlling the heating and water temperature in your home, take a look at our selection of heating controls and valves.
IoT5 months ago
IOT Dog Daycare Robot with Dog Food Water Feeding | Nevon Projects
IoT4 months ago
Smart Home Tech: What are the best smart thermostat options?
Smart Gadgets4 months ago
VW explains how the ID.4 electric SUV gets smart about coasting
Home Security4 months ago
Getting Past Cybersecurity In IoT Devices And Exploring Their Performance | The Cyber Security Place
IoT4 months ago
Building Solar Energy Monitoring Systems Using IoT – floLIVE
Home Security6 months ago
AQara N100 Smart Door Lock Fingerprint NFC Password Unlock Smart Home Work With Apple HomeKit Mijia APP With Doorbell – Mega Deal #FF93 | Heliotropab
Smart Gadgets4 months ago
China’s Tesla rival Xpeng sets sights on Europe as it delivers first batch of smart electric cars to Norway | South China Morning Post
IoT3 months ago
Android and Nest are making the smart home feel smarter with Matter | Android Central